Manager, Public Affairs, Abbott Diagnostics
Lake Forest , Illinois , United StatesApply
An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve. Please note that candidates need to be eligible to work in the U.S. without Abbott sponsorship.
At Abbott, we’re committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we’ve brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools give clinicians and patients accurate, timely information to better manage their health. We work to empower smarter medical and economic decision making to help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life. Abbott’s diagnostics product offerings include the core laboratory, blood screening, molecular diagnostics and hematology. Abbott is also a leader in point-of-care testing and has a growing presence in informatics.
Abbott’s diagnostics business is an important part of the Abbott growth strategy, with almost $5Bn in sales in 2016.
The Manager, Public Affairs, Diagnostics plays a pivotal role in identifying opportunities, developing strategy and managing programs to always protect and enhance Abbott's reputation generally and in diagnostics specifically.
The Manager is responsible for identifying storytelling opportunities, developing compelling stories and content, and engaging media to help convey those stories amongst multiple external stakeholders. Candidates must have a proven ability to develop compelling storylines, frequently from highly scientific topics, that align to traditional, digital and social channels and a track record of success in earned media placements.
The Manager must be able to demonstrate strategic thinking and the ability to provide thoughtful counsel to a broad range of internal and external contacts across all levels of management. The Manager will work closely with the department director on certain topics and independently on others.
The Manager is responsible for the supervision of public relations firms and management of internal client relationships to help execute communications programming.
Responsibilities include serving as a Company spokesperson on diagnostics business activities, products, issues and performance.
The position will report directly to the Director, Public Affairs for Abbott’s global diagnostics businesses. All division PA functions have a line reporting relationship to Corporate Public Affairs
Core Job Responsibilities
- Develop strategic communications and positioning for diagnostics products (roughly 40% split on US programming / 60% ex-US).
- Cultivate strong relationships with media in both the trade (health and diagnostics) arena and consumer media (business, health) – leading to coverage in top-tier business, financial and consumer media as well as trade journals. Maintain relationships with key contacts through thoughtful, strategic engagement.
- Work extensively with US and international business, including affiliates, to enhance the visibility of our products and services amongst identified target audiences, with approved key messages.
- Bring to the table an understanding of today’s communications environment amongst earned, owned, social and paid media and how to align and maximize opportunities provided by these channels for Abbott’s diagnostics products.
- Drive good communications practice globally. Provide counsel and support to markets in how to utilize and execute strategic communications to help achieve their business goals.
- Oversee development and approval of messages, press materials, social posts and other communications tools.
- Act as a primary spokesperson for assigned topics – by business or therapeutic area, and in other situations as required. Interact with journalists to help ensure favorable positioning within stories.
- Oversee PR agency management and conducts/oversees PR agency competitive bidding/selection process.
- Interface with various division and corporate internal stakeholders to achieve goals, including Govt Affairs, investor relations, legal, finance, marketing, regulatory, medical, clinical and senior management.
- Coach divisional spokespeople and third-party spokespeople on delivery of messages.
- Work to anticipate, identify, plan and mitigate for issues which could represent a business risk. Collaborate/ lead across functions to develop coordinated responses, mitigation plans as well as counsel management on reputation/business impact. Able to actively influence the business decision making process. As issues arise, develop issues management plans, statements/ other communication documents and oversee execution of plans.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Finance/Administrative: Assist department head in managing and shaping department policies and procedures. Ensure proper adherence to all financial and administrative policies. Ensure programs fall within budget parameters and all paperwork is completed in appropriate manner (invoice logging, purchase orders, statements of work, etc.).
Skills / Experience Requirements
- More than 7 years of experience in media relations, with a deep understanding of how to use external communications to enhance reputation.
- Strong contacts and working relationships with a variety of top tier media.
- Able to achieve results while dealing with ambiguity and a rapid pace of change.
- Demonstrated ability to use communications to drive business results.
- Excellent writer and communicator who can organize, summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly and accurately.
- Experience with science storytelling and successfully communicating complex scientific topics in understandable language.
- Experience in developing and implementing media relations plans and proven ability in placing media stories and managing relationships with national/international contacts
- Experienced user and creator of social media to drive awareness and engagement
- Some experience with issues and policy communications preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Business, Marketing or related field is required.
Job ID: 30055927
Job Family: Public Relations
Division: PA Public Affairs
Location: United States - Illinois - Lake Forest
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Medical Surveillance: No
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day) Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Let LinkedIn match jobs to your profile.Search Now