St. Paul , Minnesota , United StatesApply
An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve. Please note that candidates need to be eligible to work in the U.S. without Abbott sponsorship.
We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Staff Buyer. Working without appreciable direction, purchases raw materials, sub-assemblies, products and services in conformance with approved purchase orders at the lowest cost consistent with considerations for quality, reliability of source and urgency of need. Provides support for all basic aspects of purchasing including but not limited to vendor negotiations, vendor analysis, cost reductions, utilization of the purchasing system, expedition of orders and vendor relations.
- Negotiates long term contracts which are not managed by the commodity management teams, within established limitations and scope of authority to obtain the most favorable business partnerships, including but not limited to quality, availability and cost.
- Plans and schedules deliveries to optimize inventories in support of production schedules/business demands by working with forecasting data/teams, planning teams, commodity teams and shipping/receiving teams.
- Reviews purchase requisitions and confers with vendors to obtain product information such as price, availability and delivery schedule, reviewing quotes for accuracy and competitive strategies.
- Implements process and procedure best practices by partnering with other functional leadership with the related product lines.
- Facilitates vendor corrective action and partners with SQE and suppliers to improve quality.
- Participates in Research and Development projects, developing and implementing action plans to support requirements bringing new products expeditiously to market.
- Recommends pricing strategies to achieve department operating goals.
- Creates and maintains mutually beneficial long-term partnerships with suppliers to foster feedback and continuous improvement, usually being the single source of contact for the vendor.
- Investigates and recommends new vendors.
- Performs as purchasing subject matter expert for internal and external customers due to extensive knowledge of purchasing and product line operations.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to junior members of the purchasing team.
- Monitors supplier performance, communicates and takes action to maintain high levels of supplier performance.
- Maintains and updates supplier databases as required.
- Generates highly complex reports and performs data analysis to proactively plan or resolve issues.
- Works with inventory management/warehouse management to resolve issues.
- Lead special projects as requested to reduce cost, increase efficiency, etc.
- May process some or all of the following: rejected components/corrective action, returns, debit memos, etc.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments.
- Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
Your experience(s), education and knowledge:
- Bachelor degree in Business, Supply Chain or equivalent experience.
- 8 years of progressively responsible experience in purchasing/commodity management.
- 5+ years working with purchasing/commodity mgt. software.
- Experience negotiating terms and purchasing agreements.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel approximately 10%, including internationally.
Your preferred qualifications and education:
- 5+ years working in a highly regulated environment preferred.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
Job ID: 30052795
Job Family: Category Management
Division: ASJM Abbott St. Jude Medical
Location: United States - Minnesota - St. Paul
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Medical Surveillance: No
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day) Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Let LinkedIn match jobs to your profile.Search Now